Friday, August 14, 2009

My BFF Meredith is Friday's Fun Fearless Female

I first met my best friend Meredith when we were both 11 and in the 6th grade. She was wearing funky Doc Martins and overalls (which were considered stylish at the time). I remember thinking she was very cool. In middle school we bonded over our love of music, sitcoms, Leonardo Dicaprio, boy bands, and a mutual hatred of Hanson. In high school we formed a deeper, unbreakable bond that only comes from having a real friend you can depend on when dealing with heartbreak. Over the last 13 years we have shared countless tears, inside jokes and we've gotten into our fair share of fights and trouble. We've been all over the place together-California, New Orleans, the gulf coast of Texas, Dallas, San Antonio and New York City. Meredith has always made me giggle because she is afraid of ghosts and scary scenes in movies. But she's never been afraid to chase her dreams and take chances.
Today Meredith gets on a plane to go to her internship in New York City. She's wanted to live there as long as I've known her. She's pursuing her career and everything she's ever wanted. She has no way of knowing exactly what awaits her there and that is why she is fearless. But having known Meredith for 13 years, I know that she is going to impress everyone she comes into contact with in NYC with her talent and dedication. She has nothing to be afraid of (except maybe the ghosts that live in her dorm room). Here are some of my favorite memories with Meredith and some of the reasons why I will miss her while she is in NYC.

1) The time we found the end of 620 (and got pulled over by the cops).
One time Meredith told me she had never seen where 620 ends in the East. I was explaining that it turns into a neighborhood and we decided to drive over there so she could see what I was talking about. We immediately got pulled over by a lady cop. I started freaking out for no reason other than I'm intimidated by authority figures. Meredith stayed calm and assured me that we hadn't done anything wrong. She explained to the officer that we were going to a friend's house for a birthday get together (the truth was just too ridiculous to explain).
2) When we went to see Titanic Meredith cried so hard and so loud that it sounded like a donkey wailing. It was hilarious and gave me a case of the giggles. After the movie we left the mall theatre and went to the now-defunct Chelsea Street Pub where we poured sugar in the plants and paid in loose change. We were a waitress's worst nightmare.
3) One time we were driving to Ross and passed a clown wearing a rainbow wig who was driving a Volkswagen Bug with a decal on the back that said "Dipsy the Clown." I think we both nearly peed our pants laughing. Later, we heard from a girl that we went to school with that she'd seen us laughing in the car after passing a clown. We were puzzled by that and the only conclusion I can come to is the girl from school must have been the clown. That just makes it funnier.
I can't wait to see Meredith in October. The last time we were in New York together we were 15 and went to sing with the choir in Carnegie Hall. We ordered room service pizza and I got lost in Macy's. God only knows the ridiculous stories we will have after another fun-filled weekend in NYC.
Good Luck Meredith! Congrats on being Friday's Fun Fearless Female! I feel so lucky to have a friendship like ours and I'm so proud of you!
You have a good day!
Love,
Elle Bunny

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl. Meredith - we're all sending good wishes your way and are so proud of you. Know you're going to knock 'em dead with your sense of style, your sense of humor, and your beauty - inside and out! And this girl can sing besides! Look out New York City - here she comes!

With much love,
Pinky

Anonymous said...

Congrats Meredith - so proud of you! Can't wait to hear all about your adventures. You are gonna take the city by storm! Such a nice tribute Lizzie!