Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Things I learned on my summer vacation

We had a great time on our vacation. I only wish it could have been a little longer. This was my third trip to Washington. I took my first trip up there during the end of December 2004 and the beginning of January 2005. It snowed while we were there and it was really beautiful. Corey and I had been dating for around a year at the time. During that trip I met almost all of my future in-laws and a lot of his friends for the first time (I had met Mr. Bunny's Dad once before when he came down to Texas for a visit and an excuse to bird watch). We went to the main hot spots--Seattle--to visit the young folk (i.e, friends, brother, etc); Yakima--to visit Mr Bunny's Dad and Stepmom, along with some of his friends that still live there; and Wenatchee--to visit Mr. Bunny's Mom and brother.
The second trip I took was in August of 2007 for my brother-in-law's wedding. I flew in to Kennewick and went to Walla Walla, which is where my now sister-in-law grew up. Walla Walla is a beautiful town; unfortunately, on that trip we were only able to stay for two days because I had just started my current job and couldn't take any time off.
So this is my third, and to date, best trip to Washington. It was different to see the places that I had seen covered in snow now lush and green; although I love white, Washington is much prettier in the summer and I can't wait to see it in the fall--hopefully next year. So now I feel it is necessary to share with you some of the things I saw and learned on this trip, which might sound similar to something we would have done in grade school after an awesome summer.
1) It is really beautiful up there. The phrase "everything is bigger in Texas" does not refer to the trees or the mountains. I like to think that phrase refers to our personalities in addition to our trucks, hats and hair. But I digress; Washington has big beautiful trees and mountains. However, Mr. Bunny's hometown, Yakima, looks very different than the stereotype of the "Pacific Northwest"-it is in a valley surrounded by sand colored mountains. There aren't a lot of tall trees-in fact, a lot of them are apple trees. When I first came to Washington they scared me because they were bare and it reminded me of those scary apple-throwing trees from "The Wizard of Oz." 2) The people in Washington are, for the most part, just as friendly as most of the people I come across in Texas. The people in Seattle aren't quite as friendly, but I'm a city girl, so I love it there anyway. But otherwise, everyone went out of their way to be nice. But my husband always says that people in Texas are so much more friendly than people in Washington. I wonder if he's right?
3) Reunions are much more fun for the people who are reuniting. We went to Mr. Bunny's 10 year high school reunion and while I enjoyed watching people smile and laugh, most of the time I felt like I was at a job interview, alternating back and forth between the interviewer and interviewee. My husband was amazed when we left by how much I knew about what the people in his class are up to now. Of course, that is because while he was busy reminiscing, I was busy getting info. People love to talk about themselves, especially at events like a reunion. So when I got bored , I would ask one of the girls who was too dressed up for a bar what she was up to now, and smile and nod while she went on and on about her kids and her husband.
4) I'm a girly-girl. My best friends have always been girls and gay men. I always dreamed of having a hetero-male best friend, who could give me a man's perspective on things (I've also always dreamed of being the girl singer in a band full of boys like Gwen Stefani). And while I would consider my husband to be my best friend, our relationship has a different dynamic because he is my husband. I discovered on this trip that I really prefer the company of girls. My dream would suck in reality. It's not that I don't love my husband's friends, they are all great, but when I'm all alone in a sea of testosterone, I long to watch Steel Magnolias or laugh about something funny that Michael K. said today on Dlisted . It doesn't help that the majority of my husband's friends in Yakima still act like they are in high school and the one that is married wasn't able to come to the reunion.
4) Apparently, it isn't my accent that gives away the fact that I'm not a native of Washington; it's my vocabulary. People laughed at me for saying "y'all". I started to feel like a hick; I guess I should have said "yous guys" instead so I could really mess with their heads. I also got a lot of looks for using phrases like these jewels: "fixing to," "good enough for government work," and "bless your heart." Although Mr. Bunny's friend, who is an attorney laughed at the way I said "lawyer." I guess my accent might have a little to do with my not blending in. How do normal people say lawyer? I just add a yer on the end of law. Apparently, Mr. Bunny says it like lo-yer. Now, that just doesn't make any sense to me.
5) Small boring towns breed interesting people. Yakima isn't much to look at (I'm not trying to offend anyone, it just isn't my cup of tea), but the people that come from there are really cool. I had some really great conversations with a lot of great people, including my husband. We spent six days together 24/7 and never once got in a fight or even snippy with each other. Anyway, I enjoyed spending time with Mr. Bunny's family and friends who are all very sweet, entertaining people. 6) The most important lesson I learned on my vacation was that these people are no longer just my husband's family and friends; they're also my family and friends. It has been an amazing realization to make, but once I accepted the idea, it was an easy transition. They are all such warm, welcoming people. I am very lucky to call them my family and friends.

Have a great day!

Love,

Elle Bunny

No comments: