Thursday, August 7, 2008

Trying to start a trend or trying to go back to a simpler time before Tommy?

These pictures were all taken within the last three weeks, during which Katie Holmes has filmed an episode as a guest star on "Eli Stone" and spent a lot of time in NYC, where she has been in rehearsal for a show on Broadway. Oftentimes, it seems that our clothes are a better reflection of how we feel than our facial expressions; Katie is no exception. First of all, will ignore the most glaring of fashion emergencies and acknowledge the fact that Katie has been wearing sweaters a LOT these days (above picture not included). Now I know that NYC isn't quite as toasty as it is here, but I checked the temperature the last few days, and it has not been sweater weather (mid 80s to low 90s). Why does Katie feel the need to wear these sweater? I, Dr. Bunny, apparel psychologist, would venture to say that she is seeking comfort, something soft and warm for her to hold onto.

Now we move onto the obvious problem: the rolled up jeans. I know, I know, calm down. This is not a growing trend--Katie is like those three guys at a sporting event (or in my case, four girls at a George Michael concert) who keep trying to start the wave and nobody else is getting up. And while one might make the assumption that she is trying to start a trend, Dr. Bunny always looks at the motivations underneath the surface. My professional opinion is that she is trying to recapture her youth, back in the 1980's when a little roll on a jean was a fashion statement. This was a simpler time for Katie, a time when Tom was just a dreamboat in a poster on her wall. And while I'm sure Katie is happy to have Suri around (especially considering she does seem to be one of the only people Katie hangs out with), I do think it's possible that Katie's throwback is a manifestation of her wondering what might have happened if she had taken a different path.

Since I don't feel that I have pissed off Tom Cruise enough by psychoanalyzing his wife, I will now write a prescription for Katie--Alcohol, Xanax (preferably a combination of the two) and a love affair with a hot little (non-gay) Broadway dancer. Tommy might get a little jealous, but maybe she can introduce them after she's done (sounds like the makings of a love connection!).
I kid, I kid. It's possible that they are actually happy together, and if they are, good for them. But Dr. Bunny's assessment is that something major is going on in that stylishly coiffed (albeit, geriatric-looking) head of hers. And I don't think she is pondering Dianetics.
I love this picture of Suri and Katie. It looks like Suri is saying, "Look Mommy, I know that you are really stressed out with your busy schedule; you've got work, auditing, taking care of me and Daddy; but you really need to roll down your pants. You look silly."
Call me crazy, but after looking at these pictures for an extended period of time, this look is starting to grow on me. Come to think of it, eventually everyone in the American Airlines center was doing the wave before George Michael came out to serenade us. I guess everything catches on eventually, and if you are persistent enough to stick with it and wait for that to happen, you can claim that you started the trend.

No comments: