Friday, June 20, 2008

Julia Sugarbaker, you are my shero!

I have decided that from now on, every Friday I will praise someone I think is awesome. And today, let's give it up for Ms. Dixie Carter. She is married to the amazing Hal Holbrook, aka Reese Watson. She starred in Designing Women as Julia Sugarbaker and always had something witty to stay. She was known at the "Terminator" for her tirades. Here are some of my favorite quotes from Julia on the show:

Quote#1
I think you should tell them to take their invitation, fold it in five corners, and stick it where the sun don't shine.

Quote #2
[about Nancy Reagan's book]
Suzanne: She said it was a gag gift.
Julia: Well, it certainly made me gag.
Quote #3
Julia: Yes, you can give him a message. You do take shorthand, don't you? Good, we take it in the South too. Anyway, just tell him that I have been a Southerner all my life, and I can vouch for the fact the we do eat a lot of things down here... and we've certainly all had our share of grits and biscuits and gravy, and I myself have probably eaten enough fried chicken to feed a third world country - not to mention barbecue, cornbread, watermelon, fried pies, okra, and... yes... if I were being perfectly candid, I would have to admit we have also eaten our share of crow, and for all I know - during the darkest, leanest years of the Civil War, some of us may have had a Yankee or two for breakfast. But... speaking for myself and hundreds of thousands of my Southern ancestors who have evolved through many decades of poverty, strife, and turmoil, I would like for Mr. Weaks to know that we have surely eaten many things in the past, and we will surely eat many things in the future, but - God as my witness - we have never, I repeat, [shouts] never eaten dirt!
Quote #4
I'm saying I want you and your equipment out of here now. If you are looking for somebody to suck pearls, then I suggest you try finding yourself an oyster. Because I am not a woman who does that, as a matter of fact, I don't know any woman who does that, because it's stupid. And it doesn't have any more to do with decorating than having cleavage and looking sexy has to do with working in a bank. These are not pictures about the women of Atlanta. These are about just the same thing they're always about. And it doesn't matter whether the clothes are on or off... it's just the same ol' message. And I don't care how many pictures you've taken of movie stars - when you start snapping photos of serious, successful businessmen like Donald Trump and Lee Iacocca in unzipped jumpsuits with wet lips, straddling chairs, then we'll talk.

Dixie is actually a registered republican who considers herself to be a libertarian in real life, despite playing the very liberal Julia Sugarbaker. She was born and raised in Tennessee and got her bachelors degree in English from the University of Memphis. In 1959, she competed in the Miss Tennessee pageant and placed first runner up. She has enjoyed recent success with her guest role on Desperate Housewives.She is a great actress and she looks great at age 69. Way to go, Dixie! Thanks for representing the south with such class!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"And that is the night the lights went out in GEOR-GIA!"

Elizabeth said...

I was so close to using that one, but I thought I was getting to longwinded! God bless Julia Sugarbaker