Friday, July 3, 2009

Liz Lemon is Friday's Fun Fearless Female!

I love Liz Lemon from 30 Rock. In my opinion she is by far the funniest female character on television. An obvious extension of Tina Fey, Liz Lemon is also a character I find myself identifying with time and time again, despite the fact that I don't live in NYC and I'm not the head writer on a late-night television show. It might have something to do with her love of food and television, or possibly her extreme awkwardness or the way she dresses for work. It's likely that I identify with her because I often break into showtunes and my name is Elizabeth. Whatever it is, I feel like we were separated at birth.
Liz is from White Haven, Pennsylvania. She comes from an optimistic family, which is surprising considering her acerbic wit. She majored in theatre tech at Smith and she spent her Junior year abroad in Frankfurt, Germany. Liz and Jenna Maroney met an audition for a car dealership commercial in Chicago in 1993. They became roomates and lived in an apartment in the "little Armenia" area of Chicago. They started "The Girlie Show" together on Second City. They moved to NYC and put the show on TV, with Jenna as it's star and Liz as the head writer. Liz tends to be the rock for Jenna who is usually having an emotional breakdown over one ridiculous thing after another.
Liz has terrible luck with men. She was rejected by not one, but two men who went on to attend clown college. She didn't lose her virginity until she was 25. She has dated many losers on the show, the most impressive in his loserness being Dennis, who was once featured on Dateline's "To Catch A Predator."
Liz has an interesting relationship with Jack Donaghy, her boss, who is played to perfection by Alec Baldwin. They have undeniable chemistry, but in many ways they have a typical boss-employee relationship. While they frequently mock each other and their respective inadequacies, they're also each others closest confidante.
Here are my top five favorite Liz Lemon quotes:
1) "Jack Donaghy is gonna kill me and then he's gonna kill you and then he's gonna fold us up in a pizza and eat us."
2) "Once in college, I pooped my pants a little bit at a Country Steaks All-You-Can-Eat Buffet...and I didn't leave until I finished my second plate of shrimp."
3) "Thanks, it's my own recipe. I use cheddar cheese instead of water."
4) "Hi, my name is Liz Lemon and I received flowers from your shop tonight and I can't tell who they're from. [pause] No, no, I did read the card but it's not signed.... no, I'm not with so many men that it's impossible for me to guess... well, that is just... oh, well you know what, I found the card, actually, they're from your mom, so tell your gay mom I said thanks! [hangs up]"
5) Jenna: "That guy wanted to buy you a drink!" Liz: "Really? But I already have a drink. Do you think he'd buy me mozzarella sticks?"
Here's a video of some of my other favorite Liz Lemon moments:

Love her!
Have a great weekend and enjoy the fourth of July!
Love,
Elle Bunny

No comments: