Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Rachelle LaFevre out, Bryce Dallas Howard in? UPDATED

The Twilight Zone. We've officially entered it. Summit Entertainment announced today that Bryce Dallas Howard will take over the role of “Victoria” in the studio’s upcoming production of THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE. Actress, Rachelle Lefevre, who portrayed the character in TWILIGHT as well as the upcoming release of THE TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON, will not continue in the role due to scheduling conflicts with another commitment the actor has made. THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE will start filming in Vancouver this coming August.
THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE, the third film in the studio’s TWILIGHT film franchise based on Stephenie Meyer’s blockbuster book series, will be directed by David Slade from a screenplay written by Melissa Rosenberg. The film will be released theatrically in North America on Wednesday, June 30, 2010.
“We are incredibly happy that Bryce has agreed to come into the franchise,” said Erik Feig, Summit’s President of Worldwide Production and Acquisitions. “Rachelle brought “Victoria” to great screen life and Bryce will bring a new dimension to the character. The franchise is lucky to have such a talented actress as Bryce coming in to fill the role.”
Howard most recently starred in TERMINATOR SALVATION as Kate Connor and has been seen in SPIDER-MAN 3, LADY IN THE WATER, and THE VILLAGE. She was nominated for a Golden Globe for her leading performance as an actress in the HBO film AS YOU LIKE IT.
In THE TWILIGHT SAGA: ECLIPSE, Bella once again finds herself surrounded by danger as Seattle is ravaged by a string of mysterious killings and a malicious vampire continues her quest for revenge. In the midst of it all, she is forced to choose between her love for Edward and her friendship with Jacob — knowing that her decision has the potential to ignite the ageless struggle between vampire and werewolf. With her graduation quickly approaching, Bella is confronted with the most important decision of her life.

I LOVED Rachelle. I thought she was one of the best parts of Twilight. So why would she leave right before she gets her big showdown, the most screen time? What on earth could be so important that she would leave her biggest meal ticket?

I smell conspiracy. I hate Summit Productions and this has their grimy, greedy fingerprints all over it. I bet that they put out feelers, got some interest from Bryce, and dumped Rachelle on her ass when they saw the opportunity for a "big name".
I will miss you Rachelle.
But I will give you a chance, Bryce. It's not your fault that Suckmit is so awful. But you're going to have to bring it. You're going to have to up the quotient of badass to go from this:

to this:

But I believe you can do it. You might just need to work on your growls. I'm not sure they are what you would consider "lady-like".

Have a good day everyone!
Love,

Elle Bunny

P.S. As I thought, Rachelle has come out with this statement:

“I was stunned by Summit [Entertainment]’s decision to recast the role of Victoria for Eclipse,” Rachelle said in a statement to Access Hollywood. “I was fully committed to the Twilight saga, and to the portrayal of Victoria. I turned down several other film opportunities and, in accordance with my contractual rights, accepted only roles that would involve very short shooting schedules. My commitment to Barney’s Version is only ten days. Summit picked up my option for Eclipse. Although the production schedule for Eclipse is over three months long, Summit said they had a conflict during those ten days and would not accommodate me. Given the length of filming for Eclipse, never did I fathom I would lose the role over a 10 day overlap. I was happy with my contract with Summit and was fully prepared to continue to honor it. Summit chose simply to recast the part.”
The 30-year-old
actress continued, “I am greatly saddened that I will not get to complete my portrayal of Victoria for the Twilight audience. This is a story, a theatrical journey and a character that I truly love and about which I am very passionate. I will be forever grateful to the fan support and loyalty I’ve received since being cast for this role, and I am hurt deeply by Summit’s surprising decision to move on without me. I wish the cast and crew of Eclipse only the very best.”

Anyone up for a letter writing campaign? I'd jump on that train.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This makes me mad enough to twist somebody's head off. Victoria was perfectly cast - and you shouldn't mess with perfection. Wonder what the back-story is?

Pink

Elizabeth said...

There's a lot of back and forth--Summit is saying that she signed up for another movie that would be filmed during the pre-production and rehearsal time as well as ten days during production. She is saying it was only going to be 10 days during production, which she didn't think would interfere too much with the shoot. I just wish they could have found a way to make it work because, like you, I love Rachelle and thought she made a perfect Victoria.