Wednesday, March 25, 2009

To Twitter or Not to Twitter...

That is the question. Twitter scares me. It's like the great unknown to me. It feels a little too much like Big Brother. Not that I'm an extremely private person (I do blog my life away)...I'm just not sure if someone needs to know where I'm at or what I'm doing all the time. It makes me nervous to update my Facebook status. (My current Facebook Status states that I feel like taking a 4 hour nap). Thoughts start racing through my mind--what if a skank I went to high school misreads my Facebook status and tells everyone that I have a sleep disorder? What if someone reads it that doesn't understand my sense of humor or how late I stayed up last night watching Golden Girls, and thinks to themselves, "she is such a Debbie Downer." What if I don't get to update my status for the next 3 months and everyone thinks that I'm still taking that much needed nap? I understand that everybody has control over how much they update their Facebook Status and twitter or tweet or whatever you want to call it; but I think in my case Twittering can only lead to one thing: TMI. I have a problem with over sharing when I'm in a weird mood. Not as much as say Simon Van Kempen from Real Housewives of New York, but I have my moments.
For those of you who might have been living under a rock, Twitter is a social-networking site and according to it's
Wiki page, Twitter enables its users to send and read other users' updates known as tweets. Tweets are text-based posts of up to 140 bytes in length. Updates are displayed on the user's profile page and delivered to other users who have signed up to receive them. And while I might be scared to Twitter myself, I do find myself reading other peoples Twitters (or Tweets...still haven't figured that out yet).
I'm oddly fascinated with celebrities on Twitter. It's so ridiculous to me that all of these people who are so concerned with having private lives constantly let everyone know what's going on in them. Twitter is supposedly the reason that
Jennifer Aniston dumped John Mayer--she reportedly couldn't take his addiction to Twittering his every move. On the other hand, Demi Moore somehow hasn't divorced Ashton Kutcher yet for posting this picture of her on his Twitter. And I have found myself losing respect for Demi after reading her Tweets. She can't spell and she writes inane things like "ahhhhh friday indeed....I am taking a moment to appreciate the small things like guacamole and chips!" and "the gift of life is upon us..breathe and recognize the power you hold!" As my Dad would say, where's a hand grenade when you need one?
I feel lukewarm about John Mayer's Twitter page While I monitor it, in the same way I monitor his career, I find myself alternating between loving him when I see a glimpse of what he used to be (I'm an old school John Mayer fan and am amused by statements like "The next time you happen to hear Muzak, pretend that the song is being performed by kittens.") and marveling at the tool that he has become ("Be yourself today. Be wildly yourself.")
Twitter can also be a tool to help you realize the absolute awesomeness of people. Such as Christopher Walken. Who I've always thought was kind of awesome (how could you not after watching that Fatboy Slim video?), but have grown to love so much more by reading musings on his Twitter page.
"There's a kid on a Pogo stick in front of my house. It's nearly midnight so let's assume he's been drinking. This should end well for him."
"I claim to be frightened of horses but do so only to get out of attending parades. It's peculiar but has served me well. The horses get it."
"A neighbor kid shows up from time to time dressed as Superman. I think it's him anyway. Very difficult to say for sure without the glasses."
How could you not love that?
Please share your thoughts on Twitter with me. I can't decide how I feel about it.
Have a great day!
Love,
Elle Bunny

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading people's tweets, but I understand your hesitation to put yourself out there like that. I think everyone knows not to take that stuff so seriously, so I say go for it!

BTW, I stayed up late last night with the Golden Girls. Did you see the one where Dorothy almost stops Stan's wedding?

Elizabeth said...

I did not see that one. I did watch the two-parter where Sophia gets married to Max and they open a pizza and knish stand that ends up burning down. Poor Sophia!