Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Ooh, a long line, try again later!

Mall Madness rocked my face off. On the rare occasion that I have watched that show Intervention, I always manage to see girls my age with shopping addictions. I am left wondering if the addiction began with this delightful game.

In Mall madness, you had to buy from a certain amount of stores and leave the mall, sanity and pocketbook intact, before any of the other players finish. But there was all this shinola to get in your way. To start with, there was this annoying sales clerk who would slap you with "You're item costs FIVE DOLLARS More!" But sometimes you would get on her good side and she would say "You get a special clearance!" Sometimes they would announce that the red player had left their lights on and had to go all the way out to the parking lot to turn them off. I know it doesn't sound that bad, but it is when you are taking it one tiny square at a time and keep rolling the dice and getting two.
There were always announcements of new sales and clearances and everyone would try and run over there to get something before the sale went away. Then you had to climb the rickety orange stairs to get money from the ATM. This game was my first exposure to ATMs, and most importantly, my first experience with plastic--I am now the proud owner of about half a dozen credit cards, and Visa should write a thank you note to whoever created Mall Madness, and with it, my affinity for using plastic.

***WE INTERRUPT THIS BLOG WITH AN IMPORTANT 90210 UPDATE***

The show was much better than I expected--actually made me think of the original show's pilot. The acting was just okay (they will get better) but the plot was strong and I am excited to see where the show goes. I love the joke about Hannah Zuckerman-Vasquez, who was reporting the news (the hot teacher said "what is that girl, 30?")--it was such a tribute to the old fans. I have heard a lot of people complaining about Annie, the "Brenda" character, but I actually really liked her and think she did a good job. I am also very intrigued but Kelly's baby and hope that Dylan is the father--and coming back; but I also feel it is a possibility that Brandon is the Dad since Brenda was at the birth. But I really can't imagine Brando skipping off to Belize when he had a son at home. He is way too responsible.

I only have two complaints. First of all, I want more Brenda! They didn't even introduce her until 3/4 of the show was through! She better have a major role in the next episode. Finally, I also have to say that all of the young girls are way too thin. They need a sammammish.

***WE NOW RETURN TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED BLOG***

Anyway, this game was so incredibly quotable that I can hear a small snippet of conversation and suddenly I'm saying the lines out loud. My favorite quotes were always when there was a glitch in the recording--specifically, "There is a sale at the fashoon boutique." But the best line comes from the guy who say, "ooh, a long line, try again later".

This was a game that my sister and I got as a joint present and was one of the few that she actually liked to play with me (my sister wasn't as big into board games as I was). I think our love for this game is evident presently in our excellent shopping skills.
Hope you enjoyed our trip down board game memory lane!
Love,
Elle Bunny

No comments: