Thursday, April 16, 2009

Is this a commercial or the actual show?

I know we are in the middle of an economic downturn, and trust me, it gives me a case of the sads just like everybody else. But if I want to learn about it, I watch CNN, not the CW. What is up with the constant barrage of product placement lately?
I mean, it's always been around, but in the last few months, I feel that Primetime Television has been inundated with it. I realize that tv shows are hurting for money, too, but it is getting distracting. Would you like examples??
First, and most obnoxiously, the new 90210. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Dr. Pepper (well, actually, I love Diet Dr. Pepper. I loved Dr. Pepper too much for too long and at 19, decided I had to switch to Diet). But this show is 23 flavors of tacky. In more ways than just the product placement (but Domo Arigato Donna Martin for at least keeping me awake during this week's episode; though you may want to lay off the Botox) but the way they are whoring out Dr Pepper products is making me uncomfortable. I also feel that as a long-time fan of Beverly Hills, 90210, I can say with absolute certainty that we would never have seen Dylan McKay pushing Dr Pepper, or Pepsi, or even Hair Products with the apparent fervent enthusiasm that is being exhibited on 90210 2.0. Maybe Brandon Walsh (he was always kind of a tool) but not Dylan McKay. No way, no how. And I think that is why the original show holds up well ten years later (I doubt 90210 2.0 will be syndicated).
But even shows I really love like Friday Night Lights are guilty of it. They've always featured Applebees, which doesn't really bother me too much. But during last week's episode (the finale) they made Buddy Garrity start the show off talking about how great Chevy Trucks are. He knows he's not really a car salesman, right? And Steve Carrell, don't think I didn't notice The Office has been whoring Apple products like it's life depended on it.
There's no escaping it at this point. It is even infiltrating my reality shows. Watching Real Housewives of New York City Tuesday night, I found myself ready to erase it from my DVR about halfway through watching it. It felt like a never ending infomercial. No Discountess Luann Platter, I will not buy your book on etiquette. No Bethenny, I don't want to buy your book Naturally Thin. No Ramona, I won't be buying your Tru skin care line or your True Faith Jewelry because, frankly, I don't think you seem like someone who should be promoting either of these products. No, Jill, I will not be buying Zarin Fabrics anytime soon. And no, Kelly, I don't buy that you jog in traffic in front of a cab with your hair down and flat ironed. Get a life. I'm not buying what anybody is selling on this show. Consider it my own little protest (although I do usually enjoy this show).
So all I'm saying is ENOUGH! I've had enough of the product placement. And I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one.
Sorry, just had to get that out.
Everyone have a great day!
Love,
Elle Bunny

No comments: