Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Catherine Hardwicke Fired; Who will they hire?

So there has been a lot of stuff going on in the Twilight Zone. It was announced on Sunday that Catherine will not be coming back to direct "New Moon". Here is the quote from the Summit press release:
"Catherine and Summit have agreed to part ways on the sequel because our visions are different.Summit’s targeted end of 2009 or early 2010 release of the film, New Moon, does not work with Ms. Hardwicke’s required prep time to bring her vision of the film to the big screen." So basically Catherine can't get it done in the amount of time they are asking her to. I have to admit that I think this could be a good thing, although I like Catherine and think that she has a lot of infectious energy which is great when working with a young cast. I just don't like some of the arty angles and use of music in "Twilight." I think the movie could have been better and a lot of the problems were rooted in her direction. On the other hand, I think it is amazing and admirable that she had the best opening weekend ever for a female director. I've always enjoyed the fact that this is such a female driven movie-the writer, screenwriter, director and main character are all female, and I like that. This movie also proved that women can make noise at the box office, if people hadn't figured that out already with "Sex and the City".
But I do not think that "Girl Power" is reason enough to keep her as the director. There have been several directors for the Harry Potter films, some better than others. I am excited to see how a new director might change the texture and feeling to the movie.
This great article by the LA Times discusses the benefits and drawbacks of a new director.
There is also much talk surrounding the rumor that they may
start filming "Eclipse" right after finishing "New Moon".I really hope that they do, because then we know that it will actually get done (and this might bode well for my trip to the Pacific Northwest coinciding with filming). On the other hand, if the director chosen for "New Moon" sucks, then we will have to suffer through "Eclipse" with them as the director as well.
I wonder who the director will be? The main thing that I worry about with a new director is losing someone who really cares about the material. Catherine definitely cared about bringing it to the big screen and making the fans happy. I also hope that they won't screw things up just to get it out fast enough--it does seem like this whole production could be kind of rushed now that they know what a cash cow the "Twilight" movies can be. I hope that they aren't blinded by the dollar signs in their eyes. I hope the new director is someone who is not only talented, but cares about Twilight and not just about it's ability to make money. And I mean, it's not like we need Spielberg or Soderbergh, but it would be nice to have someone who knows what they're doing.
The most important thing:
The Primary Cast will stay the same. This makes me happy.
And I'm so excited to find out who they cast as the Volturi!!!! In my opinion, these two are excellent candidates for Volturi Wives:
What do you think? Who should be the next director and who should be the Volturi?
Have a great day!
Love,
Elle Bunny

No comments: