Thursday, January 15, 2009

House Hunting: A Tale of Triumph?

So, we are in the process of looking for a house. It is really scary and nerve racking and overwhelming and exciting. It is most definitely an emotional rollercoaster. So here's our story so far.

Act I: Elle Bunny falls in love with a limestone two story.
I totally fell in love with this house. It's in a cute family neighborhood. It's big and the master bedroom is downstairs. I loved the flooring and the paint. I loved the cute little porch swing. And well, because I was bitten by the house love bug, I was willing to overlook the fact that we were really hoping to find a one story, and I never really wanted an all-white kitchen like they had and they don't have two sinks in the master bath. I was too busy picturing myself hosting huge dinner parties (like I do it all the time) instead of imagining what it would be like to get ready at the same time as Mr. Bunny in the morning. We made an offer, they countered, we countered, then they countered back. The first time they countered with $2000 less than their asking price, the second time with $3500 less than their asking price (which by the way, was way to high to begin with). We had to give up--it wasn't that we couldn't afford it, it's that we were afraid it would be found to be worth less than that in the appraisal. So we gave up the house. I felt devastated. I moped for two days. Mr. Bunny had warned me not to get emotionally invested in the house, and I thought he was just being a silly boy. But he was totally right. I felt like a stupid emotional girl.
Act II: Where we find something that feels like home
Last Sunday, Mr. Bunny and I went with our realtor to look at 10 different houses. It was really crazy and overwhelming. There is a neighboring suburban city that I always find intriguing homes in on the Internet and end up driving past the homes and deciding not to even look at the inside. I found myself thinking that I knew there was probably an area in that suburb that was nice, but I wasn't sure if we could afford it. Then we came to see this house. It's got great curb appeal and is in a quiet neighborhood. Wonderful landscaping and trees. I figured it must be a mess on the inside since it was something we could afford even at the asking price.
But I was wrong. It was so beautiful.
The rooms are all a nice size. The front bedroom has a beautiful bay window. The master, which is on the back of the house, has french doors and plantation blinds. That room feels like an oasis. The master bathroom has two sinks, a water closet, a separate shower and a nice big tub. Not only are there pergo wood floors throughout all of the hallways and living area, but there is beautiful tile in the kitchen, dining area and bathrooms, and nice, well-kept carpet in the bedrooms. The rooms are painted beautifully. There is an amazing back yard.

This is the covered back porch. I can picture sitting there holding hands with Mr. Bunny after a long day at work. From the back porch, you step onto the large deck, where I can picture Mr. Bunny cooking out hamburgers for our family and friends. From there you step out into the large back yard, with a grove of trees and plenty of room to play bocce ball, croquet, horseshoes or washers. I have to admit, I can also picture a swing set and little babies playing back there. Maybe I'm just a stupid emotional girl, but I feel myself getting attached to this house. But I feel like Goldilocks--we've seen bigger houses, we've seen smaller houses; we've seen more expensive houses, we've seen less expensive houses; but this one feels just right. It's cozy and homey. It makes my heart sing (I know this is extremely corny, but it's true).

We are putting in an offer tonight. I'm scared to death that we won't be able to reach a deal on this house either. But I really don't see how we could lose on this house.
What do you think? Reassure me, dealing with money and things that make my heart sing is super scary.

Stay tuned to find out what happens!

Have a great day!

Love,
Elle Bunny

No comments: