Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Jon & Kate Plus 8: More Depressing than Intervention?

I'm a fan of all of the TLC family shows. I haven't gotten a chance to watch the Little Person couple show yet (it conflicts with my very important Real Housewives of New Jersey viewing) but I watched their special and loved them. I'm a long time viewer of Jon & Kate Plus 8, Little People, Big World, 18 Kids & Counting, etc. The question I would like to pose today is whether or not it is possible for a reality show to jump the shark?
Sure, we have examples like The Real World which we may think have lost their mojo, but that might also have something to do with us growing older and no longer relating to the people on the show (because they are all skanks). Oh, and sidenote, I loved the last season of The Real World. It was in Brooklyn and had the best cast since San Diego. The people were normal and didn't have multiple sex partners and get wasted every night. They handled serious issues and it brought back memories of the first season of The Real World in NYC. Apparently that is boring to the MTV Viewers because they appear to be going back to the formula they were using before-I'm assuming that based on the fact that they are having the next season in Cancun.
Anyway, if it is possible for a reality show to jump the shark, I think Jon & Kate Plus 8 jumped the shark when they moved into their big new house. I was excited when they moved because we were moving into our house around the same time and it was new and interesting. But everything changed. Kate's bitching was more annoying, and I think most of us were wondering "You live in this big beautiful home. You have brand new appliances. You have beautiful children--granted, a lot of them, but they are all so adorable. You have people to help you take care of your kids and your home, and you get paid to live your life. You husband can also stay home. Why are you so pissed off all the time?" Jon seemed less interested and interesting and mumbled so much that I had trouble understanding anything he said.
There is also the publicity factor. With Kate's books, she had to do press tours, which heightened the family's overall visibility. Kate went on her book tours by herself, and Jon was left at home with the kids (and oftentimes, other people to take care of the kids). Suddenly, they started appearing in tabloids and both of them were eventually accused of cheating.
Watching the season premiere last week was probably the most uncomfortable I've ever felt watching television. The episode this week was only slightly less uncomfortable to watch, but I started getting pissed off. The problem is Jon is a loser. Kate is a bitch. It can be interesting to watch, but after awhile, something will happen and a crack develops in the relationship. But they aren't doing anything to try and repair it. For people who claim to be Christians, they both act very hateful towards each other. They don't make an effort to speak to each other and they don't spend any time with each other. Jon was even out of town on Kate's birthday for a Pleasure Ski Trip (which, rumor has it, his possible mistress Deanna Hummel was on as well). He also refused to help with any of the planning of the kids' birthday party because he said he needed a "break." I find myself feeling sorry for Kate, even though I know it's very possible I'm being manipulated by editing.
I don't know if either of them have/are cheating, but watching the show, it's clear that Jon has checked out of the marriage. Kate seems obsessed with making money, which to a point, I understand. They have 8 kids to send to college. But in my opinion, she should be focusing on her family's needs in the present first and then thinking about the future. And if this was going on in my family and I had the chance to save my marriage, I would be done with that reality show so fast TLC's bigwig's heads would spin. Kate needs to switch her priorities. And Jon is going to regret it if he lets his family slip away.
I find myself very depressed at the end of each of these episodes. I feel so bad for the kids and it makes me really sad that their parent's are airing out all of this dirty laundry. What are your feelings on this show? Do you think it's depressing to watch? Do you think they should take it off the air?
Thank God for the Duggars. I can depend on that family to stay together and keep me happy.
Finally, I urge you to check this out: Buzzfeed. Kate has got some ridiculous hair, and it looks even more ridiculous on other people.
Have a great day!
Love,
Elle Bunny

2 comments:

January Black said...

I don't know.....Kate's hair is better than a Duggar! lol

Elizabeth said...

Those Duggars and their home perms. LOL indeed.