Friday, June 26, 2009

RIP Michael Jackson: Friday's Fun Fearless Male

1958-2009
What can be said that hasn't already been said? I stand by my statement that this is a Bummer Summer. Often imitated but never duplicated, Michael Jackson truly was the King of Pop. He was eccentric to say the least, but nobody could claim to be more talented. He was fearless when it came to performing. He crossed many barriers and laid the ground work for artists like Justin Timberlake. He revolutionized music videos. I mean, really, does it get any better than Thriller? I think not. He was an incredible performer, but lets not forget about the beauty of the music he created. There is no other artist in history that could match the perfection of Off The Wall, Thriller, or Bad. He came out with all three of these albums in a row before he was thirty. Genius is an understatement.
Michael had an incredible impact on my life. Bad was the first tape I ever had. I remember putting it in my tape deck and dancing around my room, trying to moonwalk in my socks. I also remember wondering why Michael was so concerned with the "Man in the Middle." I believe I was around 12 before I realized he was saying "Man in the Mirror." I'm pretty sure that somewhere in my parents house there is a recording of me singing my version of that song-it was my fave even though I obviously had no idea what it was about. I have fond memories of getting to stay up late with my whole extended family (is it possible that we all got together just to watch it?) and watching the premiere of the video for "Black and White". And I have been told that I once told my grandmother that I wanted to be Mrs. Michael Jackson.
When I was 4 1/2 and kindergarten was fast approaching, my mom started to worry about the fact that I was still sucking my thumb. She had tried everything to rid me of the habit. She finally decided that bribery was the only option. We made a deal that she would pay me 10 cents a day every day I went without sucking my thumb. But when I was asleep, I kept falling back into the habit. So Mom got me to wear a sparkly glove on my right hand (thus covering up my right thumb, the one I always sucked) at night by convincing me I was cool like Mike. It worked like a charm.
It makes me incredibly sad that he is gone. I feel so bad for his poor children. I also have to stay that I'm so sickened with Perez Hilton. I recommend everybody stay away from his website (I have taken away the link in my sidebar). He is a hypocrite and never seems to learn from his mistakes. He is a poisonous person who honestly never breaks any news which is kind of horrible when he runs a gossip site. He has never had an original thought. Go to D Listed if you want up-to-the minute gossip from someone with a soul and a real sense of humor.
I think it says a lot about MJ that after his death it seems we all feel the need to relay stories of our personal experiences with Michael's music. He was one of those artists who truly connected with his fans and had an incredible impact on the lives of fans around the world. We all idolized him.
And when you want to get people on the dance floor, there is absolutely nothing better than one of Michael's songs. Check out this video of 1,500 plus inmates of the Cebu Provincial Detention and Rehabilitation Center, Cebu, Philippines at practice!

Let's dance in his honor this weekend!
Love,
Elle Bunny
P.S. RIP Farrah Fawcett. Farrah meant so much to so many people. She used her voice to speak out on the battle that she and so many others were fighting. What I think is truly remarkable is the fact that she was a spokeswoman for the importance of screening and early detection in fighting cancer long before she ever received a cancer diagnosis. I like to think that yesterday she received a promotion and now she's not just one of Charlie's Angels, but one of God's Angels.

No comments: