Thursday, November 13, 2008

How is it possible that anyone is still Team Jacob at this point?

Don't get me wrong, I loved Jacob in the books. While I have never considered myself to be Team Jacob and found New Moon painful to read the first time around, I thoroughly enjoyed his section of Breaking Dawn.
But the actors who play Edward and Jacob have made abundantly clear who would win any battle of hotness.
Exhibit A:
Hottie with the Hair
Exhibit B:
Massive Tool
I don't see how anyone could even be Team Switzerland at this point.
In fact, many members of the livejournal communities I frequent refer to him as Failcob.
In addition,
Last night, they put the Twilight cast's celebrity playlists up on iTunes. I love Celebrity Playlists so this is like Christmas for me, but I refrained from buying any because we are trying to save money and I've gone way over budget in my iTunes spending the last couple of months. And I'm glad I refrained because Twilighters have been graciously compiling and sharing their music. So they have playlists from Rob, Nikki, Ashley, Jackson, Kellan, Edi, Rachelle and Taylor. Why no KStew? I bet I would have loved her Playlist. That sucks.
So speaking of things that suck, Taylor does. A lot. Let me share the songs that Rob picked and his explanations and then we will move on to Taylor.
1."C-Jam Blues" by Oscar Peterson: "What I learned how to play blues piano riffs from. Peterson was the best."
2."Soldier Sender" by John Lee Hooker: "If I could have a song as a wife..."
3."Soft" by Kings of Leon: "I've always thought that I really relate to the lyrics of this even though I don't really know what they are. I love the singer's enunciation in all their songs. They are pretty much the only modern band I can say I am a fan of."
4."Cold Sweat" by James Brown: "This song hits me just as hard every time I've heard it since I was a little kid and I listened to James Brown on the way to school."
5."Dean" by Terry Reid: "I love Terry Reid. I love the schizophrenic decisions he makes towards the end of this song when he's choosing what notes to sing.Terry Reid was just one of those guys like James Brown who when they got into a groove, it just seemed like they'd want to keep singing the same line, let alone the same song, all night."
6."Stepping Out Queen, Pt. II" by Van Morrison: "Another guy who has such a visionary and unique take on what structure in songwriting is, what singing is, and what can be achieved emotionally and spiritually through music."
7."Lengths" by The Black Keys: "Another new band I like. This is a beautiful song. I like how it's produced. This whole album is great."
8."One Mo'gin" by D'Angelo: "I love D'Angelo. I used to always try and sing like him when I was younger and embarrassingly fail. I like his pronunciation when he sings. I think when you try and write lyrics and you think that there is no way the listener will figure out what you're saying or what you mean, you write much more honestly. I think."
9."Blue Monday People" by Curtis Mayfield: "Got inspired by putting D'Angelo on. This whole album is amazing. The production on it is incredible. A really interesting album which not a lot of people listen to. Don't know why."
10."Brown Trout Blues" by Johnny Flynn: "I grew up with some amazing musicians in London who are still my friends. Marcus Foster, Bobby Long and Sam Bradley are recording their albums now, but Johnny Flynn completed his one a while ago. I just saw him play in L.A. and he was incredible. But he's always been incredible so I can't say I was surprised. Get this album it's great and no one else does music like him at all."
11."Ambulance Blues" by Neil Young: "One of the most moving songs ever written or recorded. I used to listen to the line 'I guess I'll call it sickness gone' on repeat for hours when I wanted to try and write something."
12."A Whiter Shade of Pale" by King Curtis: "Just a beautiful song. Reminds me of the end of Withnail and I."
13."Ruby's Arms" by Tom Waits: "My favorite Tom Waits song. I cry almost every time I hear it. Plays over an amazing scene in one of my favorite movies too - Prenom Carmen."
14."(First) Essay for Orchestra, Op. 12" by Atlanta Symphony Orchestra & Yoel Levi: "This song just hurts, it's so beautiful."
15."T.B. Sheets" by Van Morrison: "Only Van Morrison can do a performance like this. No one else has come close."
OME
I adore Rob.
I don't consider myself a music snob, because I have been known to jam out to Britney Spears and *NSync on occasion, so who am I to judge? But I wouldn't put those people on my playlist. They are for the car when I'm alone or have my fellow Struthropes in tow (we perform all of the *NSync dance moves and sing our parody versions of Britney songs. We can be entertaining--especially when the three of us belting out "Slutty," our version of "Lucky"). But I digress; the point is, I appreciate it when somebody has good taste in music. Rob picked life songs. Good songs. Songs that you would listen to at any age. And he said meaningful things about them; "If I could have a song as a wife..." and "This song just hurts, it's so beautiful." How could you not love him when he says things like that?
Here are Taylor's picks:
1. "Smother Me" by The Used "I love the Used and this is my favorite song of theirs. The song expresses the pain experienced when that special someone is not around. The song takes me to a place where I want nothing more than to be with her."
2. "Best I Ever Had" by State of Shock "I believe you never really know what you have until it’s gone. I’ve learned to enjoy every moment and live life to the fullest because after it’s over, you want it back. The words in this song strongly describe the feelings that occur when you lose someone you love.”
3. "Drops of Jupiter" by Train "This is one of my father's favorite songs. He's played this song ever since I was young. I kind of got addicted to it throughout the years. If you don't like it, you can blame it on him."
4. "Never Knew" by The Rocket Summer "This song symbolizes the importance of having someone in your life you can trust and look up to. There are many people in my life I can relate this song to."
5. "The Saints Are Coming (Live from New Orleans)" by U2 & Green Day "U2 is probably my all-time favorite band and this song is one of my favorites. I thought the idea of creating a song with Green Day was absolutely genius and it turned out to be great!"
6. "Put Your Hands Up In The Air!" by Danzel "As annoying as this song may be, I have many great memories behind it. A friend and I made a music video to this song for school and it was absolutely hilarious. We actually got 100 percent on it!"
7. "Let It Rock" by Kevin Rudolf and Lil' Wayne "This is just one of those roll-your-window down, blast-the-music-while-you're driving-down-the-highway songs. It really pumps me up for some reason."
8. "Fall For You" by Secondhand Serenade “This song is an emotional song about a boy falling in love with a girl. I first heard this song on the radio it captured my attention so I went home and downloaded it from iTunes.”
9. "Addicted" by Enrique Iglesias "This is one of my favorite romantic songs. I’m a sucker for romance songs since I’m a hopeless romantic. The song starts out quiet, a little sad and becomes more powerful as it progresses."
I know Failcob is young, but come on. I feel secondhand embarrassment right now. And in addition, I resent the fact that he made us all feel old with his comment about "Drops of Jupiter." And something is wrong with the world if 16-year-old boys are picking Enrique Iglesias songs for their playlist. I'm not saying he's gay, I'm just saying--that's a bit odd. The majority of these songs suck majorly. The only thing thing that sucks worse than his playlist is his explanation of why he picked these songs. "As annoying as this song may be" ???? WTF? If it's annoying, why would you put it on there?
Also, any guy who goes around in jeans and no shirt and takes pictures is a tool.
In the words of Rob as Art, "Just shut up with your face".
Have a great day!
Team Edward!
Love,
Elle Bunny

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

HA! Exhibit B just made me laugh out loud.

Elizabeth said...

I wonder if the thought ever crossed Stephenie Meyer's mind when she was writing these books that Shark Boy would be playing her Jacob.